Friday, March 20, 2015

How I prepared for the exam

Statistics:-

Preparation time: 7 months
Number of reads: 8
NBME 7 on Jan 6th ‘15  : 207
NBME 13 on Jan 19th   : 213
Free 150’s on Feb 2nd   : 74%
NBME 16 on Feb 12th   : 222
Final Step 1 score (taken on Feb 25th 2015) :   222


A Brief Introduction:-

I am an IMG looking at getting a residency in either Family Practice or Psychiatry in the US. I graduated from medical school in May 2014.


Books/ Preparation material:-

·        First Aid
·        Kaplan series along with lecture videos
·        Pathoma
·        BRS Behavioral Sciences
·        USMLE World question bank


The Grind:-

·        1st Read: I started my preparation in August, 2014. I went through the whole Kaplan series, subject-wise. I saw all the lecture videos too simultaneously. It took me 3 and a 1/2 months to finish one run of aIl subjects. 


·        2nd Read: Mid November onwards I picked up my First Aid and went over the course system-wise. I also did microbiology, pharmacology, behavioral sciences/ biostats and biochemistry from FA. During this time I also studied pathology from Pathoma. I did not do Goljan as it was very time consuming. My basics in pathology were weak and Dr. Sattar’s Pathoma videos saved my life! All of this took me about one month.


·        By this time I had also bought my Usmle world question bank and I would do a timed test of 30 questions everyday. In the test I included all the systems that I finished revising from FA. So I added a system/ subject each time that I revised one. I continued taking these tests till the very end of my preparation. Of course, after reading FA once I would just include all subjects and systems in the tests. Initially my scores were very low, averaging only around 40% in the first few weeks! But I tried to be patient, and soon enough, they rose steadily and so did my confidence. :) 


·        3rd Read: Now that I was done with FA properly once, the 3rd read took me much lesser time. In two weeks I finished going through FA and Pathoma. For every subsequent revision I only went through these two books and did not read Kaplan anymore. Except, if there was something I had a doubt in, or some areas that were inadequately explained in FA, I referred to the Kaplan books.
So from 20th Dec to 5th Jan I finished my 3rd  read and I took Nbme Form 7, on 6th January 2015, and scored 207.
Honestly, I was really happy with my score! Probably because it was only my first Nbme and I was just happy seeing that I had passed comfortably and also, because knew I had enough time to crank it up considerably for the main exam.
By this time my Uworld qbank scores were averaging around 55%






·        4th Read: 8th to 18th January. This time too, I just revised my FA and Pathoma. This time I focused more of my time and energy on my weaknesses, as pointed out by Nbme 7- Behavioral Sciences/ Biostats, Pharm, Renal system and Respiratory system. Then I took my second mock, Nbme Form 13 on 19th January 2015, and scored 217. The ten point jump was good and motivated me further. But I was 5 weeks away from my exam now and time was flying at break-neck speed!










·        5th Read: 19th Jan to 1st Feb- Again, revised only FA and Pathoma. But in Nbme 13 I had only one weakness- Behavioral sciences. I had managed to improve the others. So I bought BRS for Behavioral Sc and Biostats and went through that as well.
On 2nd Feb 2015 I took the free 150 questions given on the official website and secured 74%. A bit of a let down. I would have preferred something closer to 80! There was no correlation to the three digit score so I had no idea how I had fared.
Now 23 days left for the big day. By now I had exhausted all of the Uworld qbank questions so I was doing them for the second time and was averaging around 88%.



My Uworld qbank Performance Graph



·        6th Read: 3rd to 11th Feb- I revised everything  (FA + Pathoma + BRS Behavioral Sciences) and took my third and last mock, Nbme Form 16, on the 12th of Feb, 2015, and scored 222.
Now I just had two weeks of revision ahead of me and I was now hoping to get a score in the range of 225 to 230.







·        7th and 8th Reads: 12th to 23rd Feb- I revised everything twice! And I finally felt like I did remember most things in those books. Phew!


·        24th Feb : One day before my exam, - Heart sounds/murmurs, Normal values, decided what I’d wear, decided what lunch to take with me, got my permit and passport ready. And, well, tried to calm down! Packed my bag for the next day with water, permit, passport, Tylenol, watch,  chap stick, energy bars, Frappuccino, ear plugs, an extra sweater, and my FA! 





Went to bed at 11 p.m. And thankfully fell asleep soon enough.



10 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Nice work there with the study schedule and time line. Good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on ur step 1 score and I wish you that il get into ur dream residency !!
    I graduated 2 weeks back , my bro who lives in us as a doctor adviced me to give my step 1 in November end . Is the time enough ?? I'm confused where to start ?? I was an average student who was weak in basics .. Can I score well even if I start fresh now ??? kindly help me out ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vigneshwar! :)
      So according to this plan you get about 8 months to prepare. That should be enough for you to prepare but you will know only once you start studying. If your basics are weak then I recommend going over the kaplan series lecture videos first because otherwise First Aid won't make any sense to you. Also, once you're done with two reads of the course, or when you feel comfortable then take an online mock test (Nbme cbssa form) which will give you a clear indication of where you stand, and how much more time it will take you to achieve your target score. Best of luck for your journey ahead! I'm sure you'll rock. :)

      Delete
  3. Great blog. Very helpful. Thank you, Chandni! Can I ask a few questions?

    1. How long did it take for you to revise FA (say, the 2nd or 3rd read)? How did you plan it - a specific number of pages or chapters a day?

    2. Did you do Uworld along with your FA revision? And did you do all the Uworld questions again during your 2nd pass?

    Best wishes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Krish! :)
      To answer your questions-

      1) The second/ third revision of FA took me 10 to 15 days. I did all the systems first, and then the subjects: behavioral sciences, biochem, microbiology, immunology, pathology and hemat/ oncology. I used to fix the number of pages to be read everyday. I used to try finish them by around 8 pm everyday, and then did my daily uworld qbank test plus explanations.

      2) Ok, people mark all questions in the first pass of the qbank and once they're done they do all marked questions in the second pass. I didn't know this before and once I finished the first run I would just do all used questions in my tests, ending up in getting some repeated questions every second or third day! This is also why I don't know how much of the qbank I finally covered second time round, but I did used questions for about a month. Anyway, do make sure you mark all questions in your first pass!!

      Good luck for your prep!

      Delete
    2. That's so helpful, Chandni! Thanks a lot! And thanks for wishing me luck! Good luck to you too! :)

      Delete
  4. hello i am an img and a mother of twin 2 yr olds. i took this exam before and failed with a 181 this time i really want to pass well with nothing less than a 220. currently i am studying FA 2014, with USMLE rx Qbank and reading pathoma lecture notes along side. I plan to take my exam july 10, 2015 i am almost done with RX i have about 700 question left. which i plan to finish by this weekend then buy world and start it around the 16 of May and try to finish it in one month with 2nd read of FA and pathoma. when am down with first pass of UW, i will take my first UW assesment and my First NBME. i will now do my UW incorrect from june 17 to june 30 along with 3rd read of FA and pathoma and my UW notes then take another NBME. then from july 1st i will try to read my weak subjects on FA before my exam on the 10.

    pls how many hours a day did you study. these days i try to study at least 9 hrs a day. sometimes i do about 11 to 12hr on good days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same here.. Initially I studied for about 8 hours, but last two months I averaged about 11 to 12 hours a day. Your plan sounds great, although a little tight. I would advise you to take the Nbme mock tests seriously. Keep in mind that the second Nbme will closely mirror your final score, since you're taking it just 10 days before the test day. All the best for your exam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent blog post. You should keep updating your blog with pertinent information. I am a non-us img. I applied last year and unfortunately did not get any interviews. Hopefully I will have better luck this year. Excellent blog post.

    ReplyDelete